- They stimulate an orgy of consumption. You don't think they're sponsored by a bank out of idealism, do you?
- They promote competition in an unhealthy way.
- They usually stick taxpayers with a large bill and a lot of sports facilities that promote watching more than participation.
- They encourage nationalism.
- They give the athletically gifted a sense of entitlement out of proportion to their value to society.
- They're run by a bunch of aristocratic snobs who also have a sense of entitlement out of proportion to their value to society.
- They encourage Olympic sites to sweep the marginalized under the rug for the duration.
- They encourage the belief that physical activity is something to watch, rather than to do.
Saturday, November 14, 2009
The Olympic Ideal . . .
Count me among the many who don't think the Olympic Games are such a great idea. Let me count the ways: